Sunday, March 30, 2014

Butternut Squash Mashed Potatoes

Still on the hunt for new and different vegetable side dishes. Something that does not include roasting or steaming (not that there is anything wrong with either method).

Looking through my refrigerator full of veggie choices I picked up a Butternut Squash and thought mashed potatoes, that's different. Something I hardly ever make since I am not a big potato fan (I much prefer rice as a starch). I believe I'm on to something so lets get started.
 
Here is what you will need:

1 butternut squash peeled deseeded and diced
1 diced red onion
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 apple (I used a pink lady but any firm cooking apple will do) peeled and diced
salt -pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp. poultry seasoning
4oz. Colby jack cheese shredded
1/2 cup chicken broth
Start by sautéing the onion and garlic in a small bit of oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft and translucent. Set aside to cool. In the meantime place butternut squash in a pot of water and boil until soft (about 10 minutes). At about the 8 minute mark toss in the diced apple and continue cooking. I wanted the apple to cook but still retain just a bit of its crunch. Drain the butternut squash apple mixture then return to the pot.


Add the onion garlic mixture, ginger and poultry seasoning.


With a emersion blender puree the mixture. Add up to 1/2 cup of chicken broth if the squash is too thick. I did not puree the mixture smooth I like a bit of texture to my "mashed potatoes" but that is entirely up to you. Make it as smooth or as chunky as you like.





Now fold in most of the cheese (leave a bit for topping.) until it is melted. Place in a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and if you like add a little bit of bread crumbs to the topping as well.

Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 15-20 minutes just until the cheese melts and get a bit golden.

Now I did not get a picture of the finished product as my family dug in before I could snap one but you get the idea.

It turned out to be a hit. Soft and creamy yet still with a bit of texture as the apples were a little crisp and there were some chunks of squash.  I was pleased as I attained a delicious healthy dish without adding a bit of butter or cream. Score one for me. Oh and I was pretty pleased with myself because I had found yet another new use for Butternut Squash.

Hope you give this one a try. If you do please leave me a comment saying that you did and if you enjoyed it as much as my family did.

Until tomorrow eat well, live well

No comments:

Post a Comment

// 10