Saturday, March 1, 2014

Stuffed Zucchini Boats

Today's post is about trying to take a not so exciting (yet good for you) vegetable and giving it a bit of a kick. I like zucchini don't get me wrong but I do tire so of just sautéing or baking it. I thought I would stuff it but with what.
I began to search my cupboards for inspiration and came upon a jar of Pumpkin Butter that I had never given a second look. Great I would use this with the zucchini and began to build the rest of the
dish around it. Would it work, or better yet taste good? Well I was about to find out.

Here is a list of the ingredients
2 med sized zucchini sliced in half lengthwise
small red onion diced
stalk of celery diced
1/4 red pepper diced
3 cloves garlic (I like garlic)
2-3 tablespoons pumpkin butter
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

 
Start by sautéing your onions, celery, red pepper and garlic in a saute pan with olive oil.Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the veggies begin to soften.

 
Hollow out your cut zucchini boats chop the flesh up and add to the rest of the veggies in the sautee pan. Cook until tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to the touch.

 
Once the mixture is cooled a bit transfer it to a bowl and add your pumpkin butter and nutmeg. Mix all the ingredients well and stuff into each zucchini boat.
 
Next prepare your breadcrumb topping by mixing 1/2 cup shredded Colby jack cheddar and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs together. Sprinkle over each zucchini boat.


Place in a 350 degree oven and bake covered with tin foil for 20 min. Remove the tin foil and return to the oven for another 10 min to finish cooking and melt the cheese topping a bit.

Plate and enjoy! I was pleasantly surprised at how well this dish turned out. The pumpkin butter added a bit of sweetness while the nutmeg was just a hint of hmmmmmm what is that. The crunchy topping was just the ticket as the cheese gave the zucchini the sharpness it needed.

All in all I would say success, as I accomplished what I set out  to do. Take a familiar vegetable and give it a surprising new taste.


 
 
 
The zucchini boats were accompanied by a simple salad and a turkey meatloaf. Yummy.

Please feel free to leave your comments. Let me know what you think of the recipe if you give it a try.

visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/culinarykreations
follow me on pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/krez10/

Until tomorrow eat well live well.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

// 10