Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sausage Egg Pie

Todays recipe "Sausage Egg Pie" is a sure hit, soon to be favorite with family, friends, just about anyone you serve it to. I have found from personal experience that it is especially a  favorite among the men. Maybe because it is so hearty yet light (If that makes any sense)

 I even shared the recipe with my sister who has 5 growing boys and they repeatedly asked her to make it. To this day it is still one of their favorite breakfasts.

A while back I owned and operated a small café where I developed this recipe to put on my Brunch Menu. From the first time I served it to the last, customers raved about it and recommended it to other customers.  It is versatile in that it can be served hot or room temperature, I'm told it is good even right out of the fridge. You can eat it sitting down or out of  hand for an on the go breakfast.
It even freezes well.(But I bet you wont have any leftovers). Just cut it up place a square in an airtight freezer bag. When you are ready to serve microwave it for a minute or two on defrost, and you are good to go

Having sung all it's praises (Did I mention it makes a great appetizer, just cut it up into smaller squares) lets get to the recipe.

To make Sausage Egg Pie you will need:

1 lb Italian sausage removed from casing (you can use turkey sausage)
1 cup biscuit mix
8 oz mix cheddar and Swiss cheese
2 cups milk
1 tsp spicy brown mustard
½ tsp dried sage
½ tsp garlic powder
6 eggs, slightly beaten
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven 350°.
Grease 2 qt casserole dish
Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain
In large bowl mix sausage & remaining ingredients
Pour into casserole dish.
Bake uncovered for 45-50 min
 
Remove from the oven and let cool just a bit before slicing. Then cut into squares.
I used to serve the Sausage Egg goodness with either a side salad or fresh fruit. Either way it is quite and enjoyable meal.
 
Hope you give this a go. It's so fast and easy to put together it could be what's for breakfast tomorrow morning. You can make it  tonight refrigerate then bake it off in the morning. See it's versatility goes on and on.
 
 Please leave me a comment if you do try it and tell me how much your family loved it!
 
 
Until tomorrow eat well, live well.
 

.
 

 
































No comments:

Post a Comment

// 10