Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Healthy Delicious Meal

We are 7 weeks into the New Year and I am desperately trying to keep my resolution to eat healthy.
Some days I win some days not so much. I have always loved fresh veggies and incorporate them into my daily dinner but sometimes I get bored with the same old same old.

Today I was grocery shopping and decided to try a veggie I was not so familiar with. Acorn Squash.
I am well acquainted with zucchini and the summer squashes, even spaghetti squash has replaced regular pasta in my home, but have not really tried the sweeter squashes. I decided today is the day.

I prepared it for the oven, deciding that roasting it would bring out it's best flavors. So I began to peel it remove the seeds and diced it up adding, garlic, red onion a touch of EVOO and ginger. Then I began to think what else would pair nicely and complement this dish. I added an apple and some fresh cranberries. Not only did it look good it smelled great and it wasn't even done yet.

I placed it in a 450 oven and roasted it for 25-30 minutes turning occasionally. My reward was a tender sweet-savory vegetable dish that excited my taste buds. I highly recommend this dish. Simple yet flavorful.

I will definitely make Acorn Squash again. Next time I think I'll stuff it with meat and bake it in individual cups, but that's another post.

To round out my meal a simple piece of salmon (also delicious) and a salad. Now that's what I call a healthy yet satisfying meal.

Here's a picture (not the best photo, I'm working on my photography skills)


Until tomorrow eat well live well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

// 10